Monday, September 15, 2014

On Chocolate Chip Cookies and Being a Grown Up

There have been many points in my life where I have come to a realization that I am officially a Grown Up, whether or not I feel like one inside. One particular such moment was the day this happened:

Me (to myself): "Man, I could go for a chocolate chip cookie right about now..."
Me (in reply to myself): "...You know, I can make those."

It was one of those grand epiphanies. If I wanted a chocolate chip cookie, all I had to do was go to the kitchen and make one (or several dozen). Ever since that day, I feel a little Grown Up thrill every time I make chocolate chip cookies--or any other baked treat--for no special reason.

It's a blessing and a curse, though. One of those, "with great power comes great responsibility" things. Inevitably, as the cookies start to pile up on the cooling rack, I start eating them. And before I know it, five or six cookies later, I have to be a Grown Up again and exercise some self control.

In case you haven't guessed, today was a chocolate chip cookie day. And it's time for the self control to kick in.

Maybe after I have just one more...

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me want chocolate chip cookies! And I had a similar experience the first Halloween that my kids were old enough to go trick or treating and we found ourselves with a lot of candy. I realized, I don't have to live by the two piece after school rule! I could have candy whenever I wanted it! Even *gasp* before breakfast! Being a grown up is crazy.

    ReplyDelete